Monday, May 14, 2012

Crystal Phillips

Today we had the honor of meeting a UMich alumni, Crystal Phillips. I really enjoyed her perspective and anecdote of her personal experiences with the academic world. Hearing her discuss her life struggles and successes really made me want to reflect on what I really want to do with my life. But enough about me, let's talk more about Crystal. She currently works for Yonsei University as a visiting professor, but primarily at the Institute for Poverty Alleviation and International Development. The mission of IPAID is "to alleviate global poverty and promote sustainable internal development, particularly in developing and less developed countries." IPAID also collaborates with six colleges at Yonsei University Wonju campus, which offers many opportunities to undergraduates and graduates to study and conduct research on poverty. When it comes to the issue of poverty, I think that it's a great thing that people are trying to assistance one another internationally. It is evident that poverty still exists everywhere, just more in some regions than others. However, I would only find it hypocritical for governments to aid in foreign poverty alleviation if they provided no care for their own. More so, in the future when those countries become developed, they may return the favor. Unfortunately I wasn't able to volunteer with PLUR which consisted of contributing time to feeding the homeless. However, I think it would have just gave me a clearer perspective that poverty still exists; even in a highly progressing country like South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment