Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Buddy Topics

During our travel times from destination to destination, we are sometimes assigned "buddy topics" where we share our thoughts on a certain issue. One of the buddy topics asked us to talk about what we think our privileges and challenges are. I think as an American, I am already privileged. I think I definitely have the upper hand when it comes to global connections. In addition, being a student at the University of Michigan, which values diversity and international interactions, I think I am more socially aware of others around me. I think this is extremely important because this is an important skill to have when working with others in the professional setting. Also, just having an accredited university name on my resume may also give me a couple bonus points over others.

When I have to think about my challenges that I have to face, there are plenty. In a male dominant society, being a woman can be difficult. I may have to work harder and show more effort in order to achieve some of the same rankings or status as my male friends/colleagues. In addition to slight male dominance, the majority of the population in America is white. Therefore, I definitely think that sometimes it is difficult to compete as an Asian American. I'm not saying that there is a huge disparity as other races or ethnicities, but I am still reminded from time to time that I don't fall under the same umbrella as others. With these identity challenges, I don't think there's much I can do to change them. However, I've just learn to be patient and to use my privileges for my benefit. Even if I have to work harder and show a little more dedication, I still do my best to prove myself. In my perspective, nothing comes easy in this world. Therefore, sitting around pouting about something you can't change will get you nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment